Tuesday 17 April 2012

New dress design

I've wanted for so long to get back to designing clothes, that's what I 
trained in, & I've always just tinkered at it.
So when I took part in The farmers wife block contest, I figured
I'd incorporate the blocks into a wee skirt for Ella.
You can see it Here.
So for this contest
I thought I'll do another piece of clothing for Ella, she's a great model to use.
I'm not nearly halfway there,
Actually just started today, so I'm really pushing it as 
there's four days left eeeeek!!!!!
Anyhoo here's the lil blocks I'm putting together


Love these fabrics.......


Different  collections from Dena Fishbein.
Actually I was asked recently what my favourite fabric collection is, I think I said Freshcut, 
but when I think of Leanika, one of her collections, I get all googly
 it is so pretty but sadly 
no longer available :(
If anyone has ever heard of it & knows where it could be found, please, please, please
let me know.......


So thats where I am as of now, the idea is a dress & beach bag to match for our 
holidays in May.
A rough sketch just to give you an idea of where I want to go with it


Wish me luck......you should see the entries so far, oh my they are beautiful.
Don't think I stand much of a chance, but entering is fun, 
& its got my creative brain cells going, I love it!!!!

Hope you all have a sweet evening, I'm about to settle down 
with a hot chocolate & a good book.
Finally finished 24, I'm so relieved....I got my life back!!!!!!!!
See you soon 
Lots of love Karen xx




11 comments:

  1. Well hats off to you for even knowing where to start! I LOVE the idea of making clothes, but the last time I did anything like that was about 30 years ago when I was at my convent school and we had to make a shirt, a skirt and bizarrely - considering they were all nuns - a baby doll nightie with frilly knickers!
    Good luck, I bet yours will be brilliant. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks gorgeous, Karen. I'm sure you'll do well. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so talented - designing and creating! Can't wait to see what the finished dress looks like. I am sure you will do very well in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Karen!!! Your sketches are incredible!! I loved the skirt you did with the leftover Ruby and cannot wait to see the finished results!! I know it will be awesome! xoxo Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fabric is so pretty. And your sketch is just beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished product. I always longed to know how to sew....to really sew...as in garments. I can do home decor type stuff, and simple clothing, and of course, I quilt, but to really make beautiful clothes, awww..what a dream!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so very gifted, Karen. You should really get back in designing and creating!
    I use to make baby clothes, but now she is all grown up....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic Karen. You definitely get a much bigger sense of achievement when you've designed something yourself, I always try and design the childrens items I knit.

    Good luck with the competition.

    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's going to look beautiful. I wonder, do you line the patchwork parts with anything to stop them fraying? xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Karen..Your fabrics are so pretty..I really love your choices and your sketches too...Good luck in the competition...my fingers are crossed for you..I know you will create something wonderful!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the fabrics,and the sketches! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So gorgeous - am in awe of your talents! All the best!

    ReplyDelete